Marilyn Heinrich



When I walked out of Wayland High on June 11, 1968 I knew two things. I wanted to be a teacher and I wanted to get married. The next four years were spent in pursuit of those goals. I graduated in Jan of 1972, but I had been hired in the middle of student teaching in Avon, Mass and had my first teaching job. I married a man I met in a Seminar about teaching English in September that year. We were on the South Shore briefly before getting fed up with traffic and malls. We headed for Maine and more teaching in 76. Maine was wonderful and I still have property near where we lived, on an Island, out houses, hand pumps and heavy lp tanks that have to be bought over the water and lifted on and off docks. Not exactly Hilton Head but very beautiful and very good place to spend time with your family. I taught at a small private school that served the public sector for 17 years.(We spent one of those years living in England). During this time we had 2 boys in 82 and 86. My husband and I job shared while our children were small, which was an ideal way to raise kids. While teaching I coached gymnastics and tennis, directed and choreographed plays, started a union in a private school and kept insanely busy.
When my older son turned 5, I decided to take him skiing. That was a life changing weekend. He was very hyper-active (wonder where that came from?) and that was the first time I had ever seen him tired and satisfied. He also said "this is my life" as we headed home. We bought a ski condo, skied every weekend and in the end we moved to Park City Utah in 1992.
I had never seen myself anywhere but New England. I found out that there is beautiful foliage outside NE and I also found that if you look hard you can have stimulating conversations, even though most revolve around business and carving turns. Here I helped start a private school for elite winter athletes, The Winter Sports School in Park City. This is the only Ski Academy in the country where Kids go to school from April- November and have the winter off to compete. It is college prep only and are kids go to great schools such as Dartmouth, Williams, Middlebury, Bates, Colby, Denver University, even Stanford.
My family has been my greatest delight. My first marriage lasted 31 years. We had two amazing boys, both very challenging in their own very different ways. The oldest a compulsive competetor and a very serious student. He skied here in PC and went on to ski at William’s. He was a two time all American and he skied on the international front until he was 25. He now works as a head estimator for Shaumet Construction in Boston.(See what you can do with a degree in English.) The younger one is finishing at Bennington where he has majored in Math and English. He is choosing Creative Writing and thinking of teaching for a few years. Dan, their dad, went on a spiritual journey which took him away from the family. He meditated at the volcano in Hawaii and never really re-entered this world. Very sad but we are amicable.
Now I have a new husband who will be at the reunion, and yes we met on EHarmony. He in our class from California. He was a computer programmer and retired at 50. We garden endlessly, travel, ski and are designing a new house. I am semi-retired as I work all winter at Park city running the 3-5 year old ski classes. It is a hoot and a real anecdote to the 34 years I spent teaching High School. I also cover for people at the Winter School. Oh yes, I'm a blond and awaiting the joys of being a grandmother, no prospects for that though. Can't wait to catch up with as many of you as possible!!!!!!!!!