Valerie Ferreira



June of 1969, I joined United Airlines, with the intent of flying for one year. Well…31 years later I finally retired.
I Lived in Chicago and New York City for the first few years, then transferred to Denver and moved to Vail. The early days of Vail where charming, no TV, no radio stations and a 4 hour drive to Denver over Loveland pass, weather permitting. On my days off from flying I taught skiing and at night I learned how to sew.
I took a 4 month leave from United and traveled solo to Africa for a month, then off to Greece, Istanbul, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. What an experience, I’m still not sure how I arrived home alive.
In 1974 I married my 1st. husband. We worked in Zermatt Switzerland for a few years at a summer ski racing camp, then back to Vail for the winters.
Our daughter was born in 1982, we divorced in 1985. I remained a single mom for the next 12 years.
While on the Board of Directors for “The Resource Center of Eagle County” I initiated and constructed the women’s shelter, for domestic violence. I don’t think the word fun comes to mind, but it was very rewarding.
In 1997 I remarried. My current husband, who is a Ranch Broker/cowboy, and I collectively coordinated the Eagle County Fair & Rodeo up until 2007.
In the fall of 1999, I opened the doors to my custom sewing business, for one of a kind children’s clothing. I found my niche while designing and embroidering infant cowboy boots. I embroidered the words “Vail CO” on the sole, and the tourist bought them as fast as I could make them.
Tragedy struck our family, in November of 2004, when my husband’s youngest son disappeared. We all lived in purgatory for the next 7 months. The praying and waiting turned into our worst nightmare. June 2005, some hikers found Chad’s body. There’s not a day that goes by that we are not reminded, of how precious life is. We miss him terribly.
Today, I’m changing lives; I educate people on nutrition, degenerate disease and the importance of supplementation. I love watching people get healthy, their happier and they are able to reclaim their lives.
My life is full of wonderful people. I am happy, grateful, and healthy and love life.
One of my favorite quotes: “Change is inevitable, growth is optional”.
The 40th. Reunion was a lot of fun, just not long enough. I wish you all a healthy, happy life.