Kent LeMonte





So nice of you to track me down and invite us to the 40th reunion of the Warriors. Unfortunately I will be away at the time, coincidentally Valerie, I will be in Venice, Italy for the first time since we were there in ’67 with Frank Smith and the Latin Club. Never did learn to speak it, but still enjoy the wine.

I often think back to my younger days and high school and wonder what happened to all the fellows and gals that I knew. I for one lost total contact almost as soon as I went to college. In fact, the only person that I have seen from class of ’68 in the last 40 years was Brownie MacIntosh a couple of years ago up in Newburyport. I still get emails from him once in a while as he continues with his love of music and writing.

So how about the rest of you. Can you send me word of whose left, gone, around, and you know? I will give you a brief history of my life and then ask you to return the favor.

As for me, Life has been very kind and full of adventure, great joy and success. High school was supposed to prepare you for college and the world to come. Well I guess everyone says that and I was no different. Typical transition of a non-jock, not too bright, skinny and socially inept kid graduating at 17. But I have no complaints and tough memories of growing up and figuring out life easily fade away when things turn out OK.

Somehow I graduated Cornell in 4-years got married in ‘72 and missed the draft and Viet Nam. (My brother Craig ( ’67) got taken by the Army but survived and lives in FL now, very happy.) I decided upon graduation that warmer climates were the place to be and after 4-years in southern California, I found my way to Texas in ’76. That was truly fate and has been wonderful. I have essentially worked in the same profession for the last 32 years and never had to move again for the sake of business.

My wife Fernanda and I have now been married for 36 years. We have just one son 27 who has grown into quite a successful young man and is now married as well. No grand-kids yet as they are still pre-possessed with careers. My son, by the way, was everything I was not in high school, smart, good looking, football stud, self confident and popular. I took great enjoyment in watching his high school years pass knowing that we had helped him avoid many of the pitfalls that hinder so many kids.

As for how it all turned out for me? “I am blessed. I’m 57 and healthy, still have hair, not much grey, I’m not too fat or out of shape. My wife and I are still in love. Our passions revolve around travel, boating, fishing and enjoying living life to it’s fullest, first class when available. I’ve owned my own business, with a great partner, for nearly 30 years and most would say I’m successful (depending on the tools you use to measure). Living in Houston is unbelievable in that you can afford to live really well for much less. You can buy a beautiful home for less than 300K, pay less than $5,000 a year in real estate taxes and there is NO STATE INCOME TAX. We have virtual summer so outdoors is always good. NO SNOW!!! Too bad for the die hard Yankees. Year round golf, tennis, fishing, boating. But alas, no outdoor winter sports unless you want to hop a 2-hour flight to the Rockies.
I often wonder why more people don’t wake up and head south, life is so much easier, but perhaps it’s because they would be leaving home. I guess Wayland was never really home to me. It was a great place to grow up, but I was 10 when we moved there and my family wasn’t from there. And maybe that made it easy for me to leave. No relatives remain and friends fade with time.

To the Class of 1968, I hope you are all well and enjoying the best times in life before middle age turns into old age and the aches and burdens grasp your unfinished dreams and drag them down and away. I hope you all have a legacy in children and work that makes you proud and satisfied that the last 40 was worth the risk, the compromise and the tears. I hope your lives hold more laughter than pain and that your futures are still bright. Hell, were not old, yet…Right?

I’ve included a few pix of my family. You can view my company at http://www.enprodistributing.com/

Be Well and Happy,

Thanks,

Kent LeMonte
Enpro Distributing, Inc.
713-932-9083 Office
713-248-3656 Cell
281-463-0702 Fax

http://www.enprodistributing.com/
krlemonte@enprodistributing.com